Map Bugala, Uganda, East Africa. Bugala
About this Item
- Bugala, Uganda, East Africa.
- This map shows the western part of Bugala Island, the largest of the islands of the Sese (also seen as Ssese) Islands archipelago in Lake Victoria, Uganda. Bugala is some 40 kilometers long, with Luku, its northern settlement and tip lying just off the mainland coast near the village of Bukakata. The ferry link between Bukakata and Bugala is shown on the map. The Sese Islands comprise the Kalangala District of Uganda, which takes its name from the town of Kalangala, located on Bugala Island. Kalangala District is in the southern part of the region of Central Uganda. The Sese Islands historically were inhabited by the Bassese, a Bantu tribe, and were part of the Kingdom of Buganda, the largest of the Ugandan kingdoms. The main economic activities were fishing for the giant Nile perch and agriculture. The map is a 1967 reprint, issued by the Uganda Department of Lands and Surveys, of a map published in 1960 by the Directorate of Overseas Surveys of the United Kingdom. It is based on aerial photography carried out by the Royal Air Force in 1950 and a commercial firm in 1955, supplemented by field survey data. The map shows the main features of the terrain of Bugala, which include forest, swamp, and hilly areas. Heights above sea level are given in feet. Man-made features on the sparsely populated island that are shown include huts, roads and tracks, and landings. The scale of the map is 1:50,000. Distance scales are given in miles, feet, and kilometers; elevations above sea level are marked in feet.
- Uganda. Department of Lands and Surveys Cartographer.
Created / Published
- Entebbe, Uganda : Lands and Surveys Department, 1967.
- - Uganda--Central--Bukakata
- - 1967
- - Islands
- - Thematic maps
- - Victoria, Lake
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "From the Uganda National Fisheries Resources Research Institute. Digitized at the National Library of Uganda with support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York.|Scale 1:50,000"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map : color ; 64 x 82 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Uganda.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Uganda. Department Of Lands And Surveys Cartographer. Bugala, Uganda, East Africa. Entebbe, Uganda: Lands and Surveys Department, 1967. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668743/.
APA citation style:
Uganda. Department Of Lands And Surveys Cartographer. (1967) Bugala, Uganda, East Africa. Entebbe, Uganda: Lands and Surveys Department. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668743/.
MLA citation style:
Uganda. Department Of Lands And Surveys Cartographer. Bugala, Uganda, East Africa. Entebbe, Uganda: Lands and Surveys Department, 1967. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668743/>.