Photo, Print, Drawing Sheng ping shu lian pu 昇平署臉譜
About this Item
- Sheng ping shu lian pu
- Office of Great Peace Album of Opera Faces
- This album of pictures shows makeup for characters in the Peking opera. It is the work of a court painter in or after the Tongzhi reign (1851--74). In the Qing dynasty, an Office of Great Peace was established to manage the court dramatic troupe. When seasonal command performances and congratulatory ceremonies were held, this office was responsible for putting on plays. The makeup of the characters in the plays generally followed a set repertoire of faces and colors. The 97 paintings in this book show makeup for nine different kinds of plays. The illustrations are skillfully done, the colors are fresh, and both the silk ground and the pigments are of the highest quality. In all likelihood, the album was an "object for the enjoyment of his or her majesty." The album is highly valued for its art and for the information it contains, and constitutes a precious historical resource for the study of clothing and makeup in the early Peking opera.
Created / Published
- [Place of publication not identified] : [Publisher not identified], [1851 to 1911]
- - China--Beijing--Beijing
- - 1644 to 1911
- - Chinese drama
- - Costumes
- - Operas
- - Qing dynasty, 1644-1911
- - Theatrical makeup
- - Theatrical productions
- - Woodcuts
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 33.1 x 48 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of China.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
- Chinese Books, Manuscripts, Maps, and Prints
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sheng Ping Shu Lian Pu. Beijing China, 1851. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1911] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668769/.
APA citation style:
(1851) Sheng Ping Shu Lian Pu. Beijing China, 1851. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1911] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668769/.
MLA citation style:
Sheng Ping Shu Lian Pu. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1911] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668769/>.