Photo, Print, Drawing Colors of the Triple Dawn.
About this Item
- Colors of the Triple Dawn.
- Saishiki mitsu no asa (Colors of the triple dawn) was designed as a folding picture book consisting of seven color prints by the famous artist of ukiyo-e, Torii Kiyonaga (1752--1815), considered by many to be the finest master of the style. The work was published in 1787. Born in Edo (present-day Tokyo), Kiyonaga studied under the Torii master, Kiyomitsu. Kiyonaga's prodigious output included many illustrated books and individual prints and series. Mitsu no asa, literally translated as "the three mornings," means the morning of New Year's Day: the first day of the first month of the new year, when every thing starts over at the same time. Hence this day traditionally has been celebrated by people over the country.
- Torii, Kiyonaga, 1752-1815 Artist.
Created / Published
- Edo : Eijyudo, 1787.
- - Japan
- - 1787
- - New Year
- - Ukiyo-e
- - Woodcuts
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 book : woodblock prints, color ; 25.5 x 19 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Diet Library.
- - Content in Japanese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Torii, Kiyonaga, Artist. Colors of the Triple Dawn. Japan, 1787. Edo: Eijyudo. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668773/.
APA citation style:
Torii, K. (1787) Colors of the Triple Dawn. Japan, 1787. Edo: Eijyudo. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668773/.
MLA citation style:
Torii, Kiyonaga, Artist. Colors of the Triple Dawn. Edo: Eijyudo. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668773/>.