Photo, Print, Drawing One Hundred Aspects of the Moon: Gojō Bridge Moon.
About this Item
- One Hundred Aspects of the Moon: Gojō Bridge Moon.
- This print is from Tsuki hyakushi (One hundred aspects of the moon), a collection of 100 large, moon-themed nishiki-e (multicolored woodblock prints) by Tsukioka Yoshitoshi (1839-92). The prints were published in batches by Akiyama Buemon between 1885 and 1892. They depict various aspects of the moon, drawing upon Japanese and Chinese anecdotes, historical events, and mythology, and relate to a wide range of subjects, including famous warriors, notable women, birds and animals, and goblins and ghosts. The print is contained in a folding book consisting of all 100 prints from Tsuki hyakushi and two indexes that were created after the series was completed. It is believed to have been bound by its former owner. A preface that was written at the same time as the indexes were compiled is not included in the book. Scholars believe that the order of the pictures in the album does not follow the order in which they were published, but instead their order in the indexes, although there are some variations. Tsukioka Yoshitoshi was an ukiyo-e artist from the school of Utagawa Kuniyoshi (1797--1861), active from the Bakumatsu (final years of the Shogunate) into the Meiji Period. He created a wide range of works, including bijin-ga (pictures of beautiful women), fuzoku-ga (pictures of manners and customs), and pictures of historical and literary characters. Completed in the year that he died, this series is highly regarded as the masterpiece of his later years.
- Tsukioka, Yoshitoshi, 1839-1892 Artist.
- Yamamoto Engraver.
Created / Published
- Tokyo, Japan : Akiyama Buemon, 1888-04-13.
- - Japan
- - 1888-04-13
- - Art, Japanese
- - Minamoto, Yoshitsune, 1159-1189
- - Moon
- - Ukiyo-e
- - Woodcuts
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: Polychrome wood block print.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: John Stevenson, Yoshitoshi's One Hundred Aspects of the Moon (Leiden: Hotei Publishing, 2001).|Iwakiri Yuriko, Yoshitoshi Tuki Hyakushi (Tokyo: Tokyodo Shuppan, 2010).
- - Original resource at: National Diet Library.
- - Content in Japanese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- One Hundred Aspects of the Moon
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Tsukioka, Yoshitoshi, Artist, and Yamamoto Engraver. One Hundred Aspects of the Moon: Gojō Bridge Moon. Japan, 1888. Tokyo, Japan: Akiyama Buemon, -04-13. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668988/.
APA citation style:
Tsukioka, Y. & Yamamoto Engraver. (1888) One Hundred Aspects of the Moon: Gojō Bridge Moon. Japan, 1888. Tokyo, Japan: Akiyama Buemon, -04-13. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668988/.
MLA citation style:
Tsukioka, Yoshitoshi, Artist, and Yamamoto Engraver. One Hundred Aspects of the Moon: Gojō Bridge Moon. Tokyo, Japan: Akiyama Buemon, -04-13. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668988/>.