Photo, Print, Drawing Apotheosis of Peter's Military Glory.
About this Item
- Apotheosis of Peter's Military Glory.
- "Apotheosis of Peter's Military Glory" exalts Tsar Peter the Great (1672--1725) as a wise ruler and military leader. The print shows Peter standing on a pedestal depicting battle scenes, surrounded by portraits of the 33 tsars and grand dukes who ruled Russia from the ninth century to the beginning of Peter's reign in 1682. Labels beneath the portraits provide brief information about each ruler. Behind Peter stretches a chain of maps of the fortresses that he seized in battle. The work was commissioned by the Russian state and church figure and theologian Pheophan Prokopovich (1681--1736), who was an ideologist of Peter's reforms and promoter of the idea of enlightened absolutism. A letter from late March or early April 1717 indicates that Prokopovich prepared the tsar's genealogy and sent it to him for review and approval. The print, created in 1717, is by Peter Picart, a Dutch artist and engraver who moved to Russia in 1702, where he produced numerous maps and prints. The work is in the Russian State Historical Archive in St. Petersburg.
- Pickaerdt, Pieter, 1668-1732 Artist.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1717.
- - Russian Federation
- - 1682 to 1717
- - Kings and rulers
- - Peter I, Emperor of Russia, 1672-1725
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 sheet.
- - Original resource at: Boris Yeltsin Presidential Library.
- - Content in Russian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Pickaerdt, Pieter, Artist. Apotheosis of Peter's Military Glory. Russian Federation, 1717. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669043/.
APA citation style:
Pickaerdt, P. (1717) Apotheosis of Peter's Military Glory. Russian Federation, 1717. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669043/.
MLA citation style:
Pickaerdt, Pieter, Artist. Apotheosis of Peter's Military Glory. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669043/>.