Photo, Print, Drawing View of the Old City of Kiev.
About this Item
- View of the Old City of Kiev.
- This view of the old city of Kiev is from Souvenir of Kiev, an early 20th-century album showing the main sites of Kiev, the capital of Ukraine and at that time one of the most important cities of the Russian Empire. Vladimir Hill, one of the oldest places in Kiev, is part of the public Saint Michael's Park in front of Saint Michael's Monastery, laid out after a monument to Prince Vladimir the Great was built there in 1853. The classical Saint Alexander's Church, built in 1842, is seen at left and is the most important Roman Catholic church in Kiev. Saint Sophia Cathedral, farther back on the left, was probably begun in 1037 by Yaroslav the Wise but completed in the present form 700 years later, after cycles of destruction and rebuilding. Byzantine elements of style were originally adopted from the great church of Hagia Sophia in Constantinople, but the Ukrainian baroque style predominated from 1740. The cathedral and bell tower are surrounded by a complex of monastic buildings. Saint Sophia Cathedral, together with Kiev-Pechersk Lavra, is inscribed in the UNESCO World Heritage List. The 25 views in Souvenir of Kiev are collotypes, made using a chemically-based printing process widely employed before the invention of offset lithography.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1900 to 1920]
- - Ukraine--Kiev
- - 1740 to 1920
- - Architecture, Baroque
- - Bell towers
- - Cathedrals
- - Churches
- - Cities and towns
- - Monasteries
- - Onion domes
- - Parks
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 photomechanical print : collotype.
- - Original resource at: Yaroslav Mudryi National Library of Ukraine.
- - Content in German and French and Russian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Souvenir of Kiev
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
View of the Old City of Kiev. Ukraine Kiev, 1900. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1920] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669058/.
APA citation style:
(1900) View of the Old City of Kiev. Ukraine Kiev, 1900. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1920] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669058/.
MLA citation style:
View of the Old City of Kiev. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1920] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669058/>.