Photo, Print, Drawing The Austrians Cursed Loudly near the Carpathian Mountains.
About this Item
- The Austrians Cursed Loudly near the Carpathian Mountains.
- This World War I propaganda poster, created by Vladimir Mayakovsky (1893--1930), depicts Austrian soldiers retreating from the 1914 Russian invasion of Galicia, near the Carpathian Mountains. The terrified Austrians are pursued by the victorious Russian cavalry. With limited colors and basic contour drawing the artist achieves a simple and comical picture. The strength of the Russians is emphasized by a long file of mounted soldiers, their commander boldly charging the enemy and brandishing his saber. In the early stages of the war, a number of Russian avant-garde artists, including Mayakovsky, Aristarkh Lentulov, and Kazimir Malevich, formed the group Segodnyashnii Lubok (Today's lubok), which produced satirical anti-German and anti-Austrian posters and postcards to support the Russian war effort. The name originated from the traditional Russian folk prints, lubok, which combined simple pictures and narratives from popular tales. These artists adapted the style of lubok to their posters, making them readily accessible to the masses and effective as a way of strengthening national morale. Mayakovsky's verse below the picture reads: "The Austrians cursed loudly near the Carpathian Mountains. They were chased across all of Galicia, a gang with stupid faces." Mayakovsky was born in Georgia, but, after his father's death in 1906, moved with his family to Moscow where he became active in left-wing politics. He embraced the revolution not only for the economic and social changes it would bring, but as a gateway to freedom of art and individual expression. After the revolution, he wrote scripts for films and designed propaganda posters for the Russian Telegraph Agency (ROSTA). Increasingly disillusioned with the Soviet Union under the dictator Josef Stalin, he committed suicide on April 14, 1930.
- Mayakovsky, Vladimir, 1893-1930 Artist.
Created / Published
- Moscow : Segodnyashnii Lubok, 1914.
- - Austria
- - Russian Federation
- - Ukraine--L'viv Oblast
- - 1914
- - Avant-garde (Aesthetics)
- - Battles
- - Carpathian Mountains
- - Lubok (Narrative art prints)
- - Soldiers
- - War posters
- - World War, 1914-1918
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 chromolithographic print.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Russia.
- - Content in Russian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- World War I
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Mayakovsky, Vladimir, Artist. The Austrians Cursed Loudly near the Carpathian Mountains. Russian Federation Ukraine Austria L'viv Oblast, 1914. Moscow: Segodnyashnii Lubok. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669078/.
APA citation style:
Mayakovsky, V. (1914) The Austrians Cursed Loudly near the Carpathian Mountains. Russian Federation Ukraine Austria L'viv Oblast, 1914. Moscow: Segodnyashnii Lubok. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669078/.
MLA citation style:
Mayakovsky, Vladimir, Artist. The Austrians Cursed Loudly near the Carpathian Mountains. Moscow: Segodnyashnii Lubok. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669078/>.