Photo, Print, Drawing The French Allies Have a Cart Filled with Captured Germans.
About this Item
- The French Allies Have a Cart Filled with Captured Germans.
- This World War I propaganda poster, designed by the Russian artist Kazimir Malevich (1878--1935) in collaboration with fellow artist Vladimir Mayakovsky, depicts French and British soldiers carrying off captured German soldiers in a cart and a tub. The rhyming couplets at the bottom by Mayakovsky read: "The French Allies have a cart filled with captured Germans, and our British brothers have a whole tub of them." In the early stages of the war, a number of Russian avant-garde artists, including Malevich, Mayakovsky, and Aristarkh Lentulov, formed the group Segodnyashnii Lubok (Today's lubok), which produced satirical anti-German and anti-Austrian posters and postcards to support the Russian war effort. The name originated from the traditional Russian folk prints, lubok, which combined simple pictures and narratives from popular tales. These artists adapted the style of lubok to their posters, making them readily accessible to the masses and effective as a way of strengthening national morale. The image in this poster, for example, of soldiers being "harvested" would have been understandable to common Russians, peasants in particular. The Ukrainian-born Malevich studied art in Kiev and Moscow. He experimented with realism, impressionism, and cubism before turning to what he called "suprematism," which focused on pure geometric forms and color. Malevich explained his theory of suprematism in essays and applied it to visual works, notably the stage sets he created for Mystery Bouffe, a 1918 play by Mayakovsky. Following the Russian Revolution of 1917, Malevich held important administrative and teaching positions, but he came under attack after the Soviet government condemned modernist and abstract art as decadent and bourgeois. His works were largely forgotten for a time, but he is now recognized as one of the major artists of the 20th century.
Created / Published
- Moscow : Segodnyashnii Lubok, 1914.
- - France
- - France--Île-de-France--Paris
- - Germany
- - Russian Federation
- - United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- - 1914
- - Avant-garde (Aesthetics)
- - Lubok (Narrative art prints)
- - Satires (Visual works)
- - Soldiers
- - War posters
- - World War, 1914-1918
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 chromolithographic print.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Russia.
- - Content in Russian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- World War I
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Russian Federation
- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
The French Allies Have a Cart Filled with Captured Germans. Paris France Germany United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Russian Federation Île-De-France, 1914. Moscow: Segodnyashnii Lubok. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669082/.
APA citation style:
(1914) The French Allies Have a Cart Filled with Captured Germans. Paris France Germany United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Russian Federation Île-De-France, 1914. Moscow: Segodnyashnii Lubok. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669082/.
MLA citation style:
The French Allies Have a Cart Filled with Captured Germans. Moscow: Segodnyashnii Lubok. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669082/>.