Photo, Print, Drawing Album of the Coats of Arms of Ukraine.
About this Item
- Album of the Coats of Arms of Ukraine.
- This collection of prints depicts the historic coats of arms and flags of Ukraine. The work is by Mykola Bytynsʹkyĭ (1893--1972), a Ukrainian painter and expert on heraldry. Bytynsʹkyĭ fought in the Ukrainian War for Independence at the end of World War I and later immigrated to Prague where he studied arts and produced several works on heraldry. After World War II, he lived in a displaced persons camp in Germany, before immigrating to Canada. The coat of arms of Ukraine, a trident on a blue shield, was officially adopted in 1918 during Ukraine's brief period of independence, and again in 1992 following the dissolution of the Soviet Union. The trident goes back to 11th century, when it was stamped on the gold and silver coins issued by Prince Vladimir the Great (ruled 980--1015). The national colors of Ukraine are blue and yellow. Blue refers to the color of the sky and is a symbol of peace; yellow is the color of wheat and symbolizes the richness of the earth.
- Bytynsʹkyĭ, Mykola, 1893-1972 Artist.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1918 to 1920]
- - Ukraine
- - 1918 to 1920
- - Devices (Heraldry)
- - Flags
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 5 folios : offset color prints.
- - Original resource at: Yaroslav Mudryi National Library of Ukraine.
- - Content in Ukrainian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- World War I
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
BytynsʹKyĭ, Mykola, Artist. Album of the Coats of Arms of Ukraine. Ukraine, 1918. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1920] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669083/.
APA citation style:
BytynsʹKyĭ, M. (1918) Album of the Coats of Arms of Ukraine. Ukraine, 1918. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1920] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669083/.
MLA citation style:
BytynsʹKyĭ, Mykola, Artist. Album of the Coats of Arms of Ukraine. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1920] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669083/>.