Photo, Print, Drawing Carpathian Ruthenia.
About this Item
- Carpathian Ruthenia.
- This album, probably published in about 1920, contains 20 photographs of scenes in Carpathian Ruthenia, a mountainous region, most of which was part of the Austria-Hungary before World War I, but which became part of the new Czechoslovak state in 1919. Today the largest portion of it forms Zakarpattia Oblast in western Ukraine, with smaller parts in Slovakia and Poland. The photographs depict the wooden churches that were central to the practice of Uniate Christianity (combining Roman Catholicism with the Eastern Rite), to which most Ruthenians converted from Eastern Orthodoxy in the mid-17th century. The sepia-toned pictures in the album also show village scenes, peasants in folk costume, locally-made pottery, and landscapes from the region. The captions are in Russian and Czech. The date and place of publication are not given.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1920.
- - Poland
- - Slovakia
- - Ukraine
- - 1400 to 1920
- - Castles and palaces
- - Churches
- - Cities and towns
- - Hutsuls
- - Ruthenians
- - Villages
- - Wooden buildings
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 20 photographs : offset black and white printing.
- - Original resource at: Yaroslav Mudryi National Library of Ukraine.
- - Content in Czech and Russian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Carpathian Ruthenia
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Carpathian Ruthenia. Ukraine Poland Slovakia, 1920. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669084/.
APA citation style:
(1920) Carpathian Ruthenia. Ukraine Poland Slovakia, 1920. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669084/.
MLA citation style:
Carpathian Ruthenia. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669084/>.