Photo, Print, Drawing Kostrina. Wooden Church.
About this Item
- Kostrina. Wooden Church.
- This image is part of an album probably published in about 1920 that contains 20 photographs of scenes in Carpathian Ruthenia, a mountainous region, most of which was part of the Austria-Hungary before World War I, but which became part of the new Czechoslovak state in 1919. Today the largest portion of it forms Zakarpattia Oblast in western Ukraine, with smaller parts in Slovakia and Poland. The wooden Pokrovska Church was built in Syanky in 1645 and moved to Kostrina in 1761. Its three-tiered towers sit pagoda-like above the wood-shingled roof, which has a wide overhang that shelters worshipers and protects the walls from the worst of the Carpathian winter.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1920.
- - Ukraine
- - Ukraine--Zakarpatskaja Oblast--Kostrina
- - 1645 to 1920
- - Churches
- - Wooden buildings
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 photograph from an album : offset black and white printing.
- - Original resource at: Yaroslav Mudryi National Library of Ukraine.
- - Content in Czech and Russian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Carpathian Ruthenia
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Kostrina. Wooden Church. Ukraine Zakarpatskaja Oblast Kostrina, 1920. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669087/.
APA citation style:
(1920) Kostrina. Wooden Church. Ukraine Zakarpatskaja Oblast Kostrina, 1920. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669087/.
MLA citation style:
Kostrina. Wooden Church. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669087/>.