Photo, Print, Drawing Teacher and Student. Alexei Yermolaev and Vladimir Vasiliev.
About this Item
- Teacher and Student. Alexei Yermolaev and Vladimir Vasiliev.
- Photographer Leonid Zhdanov (1927-2010) took this picture in 1971 at the Bolshoi Theater. Two legends of the world of ballet are seen in the rehearsal room: Alexei Yermolaev (1910-75), a teacher, and Vladimir Vasiliev (born 1940), a principal dancer of the Bolshoi company. A graduate of the school of dance in Leningrad, in 1926 Yermolaev became a leading dancer of the Leningrad Opera and Ballet Theater (the Mariinsky Theater). He boldly challenged the supremacy of the ballerina and made men's dance more dramatic and virtuoso. He was essentially the founder of the heroic male dance. In 1930 Yermolaev was transferred to Moscow, where he joined the ballet company of the Bolshoi Theater--the most important theater of the Soviet Union. Among his best roles were the Ocean in The Little Humpbacked Horse, Blue Bird in Sleeping Beauty, Basil in Don Quixote, and Tybalt in Romeo and Juliet. Yermolaev retired from the stage early because of injuries and became a leading ballet teacher at the Bolshoi Theater. In the 1960s, stars of world ballet and the best dancers of the Bolshoi, such as Mikhail Lavrovsky, Yuri Vladimirov, Maris Liepa, Boris Akimov, Alexander Godunov, and Vyacheslav Gordeev, all worked with Yermolaev. Vladimir Vasiliev was Yermolaev's first student and his successor as a dancer. He continued his teacher's tradition as an artist and brought virtuoso male dance to an unprecedented height. Zhdanov, a Bolshoi dancer and then a professor of choreography for 50 years, was also a professional photographer for most of his career. His pictures are spontaneous and capture on film the movements, moods, and emotions of the unposed dancers. The Reborn Art Foundation in Moscow holds this image and the rest of the Zhdanov archive.
- Zhdanov, Leonid, 1927-2010 Photographer.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1971.
- - Russian Federation--Moscow--Moscow
- - 1971
- - Ballet
- - Bolshoi Theatre of the USSR
- - Dance
- - Dance--Study and teaching
- - Dancers
- - Students
- - Teachers
- - Vasilʹev, Vladimir Viktorovich, born 1940
- - Yermolaev, Alexei, 1927-2010
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 black and white photograph ; 35 millimeter negative.
- - Original resource at: The "Reborn Art" Charitable Foundation.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Zhdanov, Leonid, Photographer. Teacher and Student. Alexei Yermolaev and Vladimir Vasiliev. Russian Federation Moscow, 1971. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669112/.
APA citation style:
Zhdanov, L. (1971) Teacher and Student. Alexei Yermolaev and Vladimir Vasiliev. Russian Federation Moscow, 1971. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669112/.
MLA citation style:
Zhdanov, Leonid, Photographer. Teacher and Student. Alexei Yermolaev and Vladimir Vasiliev. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669112/>.