Photo, Print, Drawing Grigorovich Dancing.
About this Item
- Grigorovich Dancing.
- This picture, taken in 1973 by photographer Leonid Zhdanov (1927-2010), shows the choreographer Yuri Grigorovich (born 1927) during a rehearsal of the ballet Legend of Love at the Bolshoi Theater in Moscow. Grigorovich did not simply go through the movements; he performed them, showing the dancers their parts. Grigorovich was born in Leningrad (Saint Petersburg), graduated from the Leningrad Choreographic School, and joined the ballet company of the Kirov State Opera and Ballet Theater (now the Mariinsky Theater). He performed solo, character, and grotesque roles. He began working as a choreographer in the 1950s. His first ballets, The Stone Flower (1957), to music by Sergei Prokofiev, and Legend of Love (1961), to music by Arif Melikov, were very successful. From 1964 to 1995 Grigorovich was the artistic director of the Bolshoi Theater. His work for this company spans a whole epoch that has been called "the golden age of Moscow ballet." His best ballets are characterized by drama, refined understanding of music, skilled stage directions, bright images, and abundance of technical elements in dance. Grigorovich's ballets helped launch many artistic talents. They include Irina Kolpakova, Alla Osipenko, Yuri Soloviev, Vladimir Vasiliev, Maris Liepa, Ekaterina Maximova, Natalia Bessmertnova, Yuri Vladimirov, Mikhail Lavrovsky, Nina Sorokina, Nina Timofeeva, Alexander Godunov, Mikhail Tsivin, Ludmila Semenyaka, Vladimir Derevyanko, and Nikolai Tsiskaridze. Zhdanov, a Bolshoi dancer and then a professor of choreography for 50 years, was also a professional ballet photographer for most of his career. His pictures are spontaneous and capture on film the movements, moods, and emotions of the unposed dancers. The Reborn Art Foundation in Moscow holds this image and the rest of the Zhdanov archive.
- Zhdanov, Leonid, 1927-2010 Photographer.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1973.
- - Russian Federation--Moscow--Moscow
- - 1973
- - Ballet
- - Bolshoi Theatre of the USSR
- - Choreographers
- - Dance
- - Dance--Study and teaching
- - Dancers
- - Grigorovich, Yuri, born 1927
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 black and white photograph ; 35 millimeter negative.
- - Original resource at: The "Reborn Art" Charitable Foundation.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Zhdanov, Leonid, Photographer. Grigorovich Dancing. Russian Federation Moscow, 1973. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669114/.
APA citation style:
Zhdanov, L. (1973) Grigorovich Dancing. Russian Federation Moscow, 1973. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669114/.
MLA citation style:
Zhdanov, Leonid, Photographer. Grigorovich Dancing. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669114/>.