Photo, Print, Drawing Empress Alexandra Fyodorovna, Wife of Emperor Nicholas I.
About this Item
- Empress Alexandra Fyodorovna, Wife of Emperor Nicholas I.
- This black-and-white photograph portrait of Alexandra, Empress of Russia (1798--1860), is from the Personal Album of Alexander II (1860-1870), which is preserved in the Russian State Archive of Film and Photo Documents, Moscow. It shows the empress in a full-length portrait in right profile. She was born Princess Charlotte of Prussia and grew up in Berlin and Memel (present-day Klaipeda, Lithuania). She took the name Alexandra in 1817 on her conversion to Russian Orthodoxy and marriage to Emperor Nicholas I (1796--1855). During his reign from 1825 to 1855, Nicholas engaged in wars with Persia and the Ottoman Empire, suppressed a nationalist uprising in Poland, and helped to quell the 1848-49 Hungarian insurrection. Domestically, he was known as an autocrat who opposed reforms and sought to Russianize all parts of the ethnically diverse empire. He died during the Crimean War, in which Russia fought an alliance consisting primarily of Great Britain, France, and the Ottoman Empire. He was succeeded by his son, Alexander II (1818-81, reigned 1855-81), the owner of the album in which this photograph is found.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1860.
- - Russian Federation
- - 1860
- - Alexandra, Empress, consort of Nicholas I, Emperor of Russia, 1798-1860
- - Kings and rulers
- - Nobility
- - Politics and government
- - Portrait photographs
- - Portraits
- - Romanov, House of
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 photograph : black-and-white.
- - Original resource at: Boris Yeltsin Presidential Library.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Empress Alexandra Fyodorovna, Wife of Emperor Nicholas I. Russian Federation, 1860. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669204/.
APA citation style:
(1860) Empress Alexandra Fyodorovna, Wife of Emperor Nicholas I. Russian Federation, 1860. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669204/.
MLA citation style:
Empress Alexandra Fyodorovna, Wife of Emperor Nicholas I. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669204/>.