Photo, Print, Drawing Grand Duke Mikhail Nikolaevich, Son of Emperor Nicholas I.
About this Item
- Grand Duke Mikhail Nikolaevich, Son of Emperor Nicholas I.
- Grand Duke Mikhail Nikolaevich of Russia (1832-1909) was the seventh child and fourth son of Tsar Nicholas I (1796-1855) and his wife Alexandra, formerly Princess Charlotte of Prussia. The full-length photograph was taken in the 1860s by Edward Westly, about whom little is known, and is preserved in the Russian State Archive of Film and Photo Documents, Moscow. The grand duke is dressed in military uniform and decorations, his right thumb hooked into his jacket, with his cockaded hat held in his left hand. He is standing in a room with heavy drapery and decorative plasterwork. Mikhail Nikolaevich was governor-general of Caucasia for almost 20 years, with his seat in Tbilisi. He was a field marshal and chairman of the State Council of Russia from 1881 to 1905. His marriage to Olga Feodorovna, formerly Princess Cäcilie of Baden, took place in 1857 and resulted in seven children.
- Wesley, Edward Photographer.
Created / Published
- Tbilisi : [publisher not identified], [1860 to 1870]
- - Russian Federation
- - 1860 to 1870
- - Mikhail Nikolaevich, Grand Duke of Russia, 1832-1909
- - Military uniforms
- - Nobility
- - Politics and government
- - Portrait photographs
- - Portraits
- - Romanov, House of
- - Royal family
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 photograph : black-and-white.
- - Original resource at: Boris Yeltsin Presidential Library.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Personal Album of Alexander II (1860-1870)
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Wesley, Edward Photographer. Grand Duke Mikhail Nikolaevich, Son of Emperor Nicholas I. Russian Federation, 1860. [Tbilisi: Publisher Not Identified, to 1870] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669210/.
APA citation style:
Wesley, E. P. (1860) Grand Duke Mikhail Nikolaevich, Son of Emperor Nicholas I. Russian Federation, 1860. [Tbilisi: Publisher Not Identified, to 1870] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669210/.
MLA citation style:
Wesley, Edward Photographer. Grand Duke Mikhail Nikolaevich, Son of Emperor Nicholas I. [Tbilisi: Publisher Not Identified, to 1870] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669210/>.