Photo, Print, Drawing Cascatinha do Retiro.
About this Item
- Cascatinha do Retiro.
- This photograph is from Vistas de Petrópolis (Views of Petrópolis), an album created in the 1860s by Pedro Hees (1841--80), one of Brazil's most important early photographers. Petrópolis was founded by government decree on March 16, 1843, and named after Emperor Pedro II (1825--91, reigned 1831--89). The decree provided for the construction of the Imperial Palace and its dependencies and gardens, which formed the Quinta Imperial de Petrópolis (Imperial farm of Petrópolis). Called the Imperial City for its associations with the royal family, Petrópolis served as the summer residence of the Brazilian emperors and was the capital of the state of Rio de Janeiro from 1894 to 1902. The album contains 15 views of the main sights in the city, including the palace, the Mother Church, the waterfall, city streets, and the New Cemetery. Hees operated a photography studio in Petrópolis, which his son Otto Hees (1870--1941) took over after his father's premature death.
- Hees, Pedro, 1841-1880 Photographer.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1860 to 1870]
- - Brazil--Rio de Janeiro--Petrópolis
- - 1860 to 1870
- - Memory of the World
- - Retiro, Cascata do (Petrópolis, Brazil)
- - Waterfalls
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 photograph : albumin paper, black and white ; 26 x 20.7 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Brazil.
- - Content in Portuguese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Views of Petrópolis
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Hees, Pedro, Photographer. Cascatinha do Retiro. Brazil Petrópolis Rio De Janeiro, 1860. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1870] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669365/.
APA citation style:
Hees, P. (1860) Cascatinha do Retiro. Brazil Petrópolis Rio De Janeiro, 1860. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1870] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669365/.
MLA citation style:
Hees, Pedro, Photographer. Cascatinha do Retiro. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1870] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669365/>.