Photo, Print, Drawing Field of Santana. Campo de Sant'Anna
About this Item
- Field of Santana.
- Campo de Sant'Anna
- The Thereza Christina Maria collection is composed of 21,742 photos assembled by Emperor Pedro II (1825-91) throughout his life and donated by him to the National Library of Brazil. The collection covers a wide variety of subjects. It documents the achievements of Brazil and Brazilians in the 19th century and also includes many photographs of Europe, Africa, and North America. This field, photographed by Rafael Castro y Ordonez during the Scientific Commission of the Pacific in 1862, has at various times been known as the Field of Santana, Republic Square, and the Field of Acclamation. It was a popular place for public events, including military parades, protests, and the crowning of Pedro I and later his son, Pedro II, as emperors of Brazil. A church, a school, and various public buildings surrounded the field, many of which were demolished in 1942 during the construction of President Vargas Avenue.
- Castro y Ordóñez, Rafael, 1834-1865 Photographer.
Created / Published
- Rio de Janeiro : [publisher not identified], 1862.
- - Brazil--Rio de Janeiro--Rio de Janeiro
- - 1862
- - Memory of the World
- - Parks
- - Plazas
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 photo : albumen paper, black and white ; 17.3 x 25.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Brazil.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Thereza Christina Maria Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Castro Y Ordóñez, Rafael, Photographer. Field of Santana. Brazil Rio De Janeiro, 1862. [Rio de Janeiro: publisher not identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669493/.
APA citation style:
Castro Y Ordóñez, R. (1862) Field of Santana. Brazil Rio De Janeiro, 1862. [Rio de Janeiro: publisher not identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669493/.
MLA citation style:
Castro Y Ordóñez, Rafael, Photographer. Field of Santana. [Rio de Janeiro: publisher not identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669493/>.