Photo, Print, Drawing Sugar Loaf. O Pao de Acucar
About this Item
- Sugar Loaf.
- O Pao de Acucar
- The Thereza Christina Maria collection is composed of 21,742 photos assembled by Emperor Pedro II (1825-91) throughout his life and donated by him to the National Library of Brazil. The collection covers a wide variety of subjects. It documents the achievements of Brazil and Brazilians in the 19th century and also includes many photographs of Europe, Africa, and North America. In 1862, the government of Spain under Queen Isabella II sent a team of naturalists to South America to collect objects for Spanish museums. The endeavor was known as the Scientific Commission of the Pacific. Rafael Castro y Ordonez, a draftsman on the commission, documented the trip in photographs, producing a pictorial record of the ethnic and cultural diversity of the Americas in the mid-19th century. This image, taken from the hilltop district of Santa Tereza, shows the Rio de Janeiro districts of Gloria, Catete, and Flamengo. Sugar Loaf Mountain and the Urca neighborhood can be seen in the background.
- Castro y Ordóñez, Rafael, 1834-1865 Photographer.
Created / Published
- Rio de Janeiro : [publisher not identified], 1862.
- - Brazil--Rio de Janeiro--Rio de Janeiro
- - 1862
- - Bays
- - Churches
- - Markets
- - Memory of the World
- - Mountains
- - Sugar Loaf Mountain (Brazil)
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 photo : albumen paper, black and white ; 16.3 x 26 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Brazil.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Thereza Christina Maria Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Castro Y Ordóñez, Rafael, Photographer. Sugar Loaf. Brazil Rio De Janeiro, 1862. [Rio de Janeiro: publisher not identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669495/.
APA citation style:
Castro Y Ordóñez, R. (1862) Sugar Loaf. Brazil Rio De Janeiro, 1862. [Rio de Janeiro: publisher not identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669495/.
MLA citation style:
Castro Y Ordóñez, Rafael, Photographer. Sugar Loaf. [Rio de Janeiro: publisher not identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669495/>.