Photo, Print, Drawing Old Recife. Recife antigo
About this Item
- Old Recife.
- Recife antigo
- The Thereza Christina Maria collection is composed of 21,742 photos assembled by Emperor Pedro II (1825-91) throughout his life and donated by him to the National Library of Brazil. The collection covers a wide variety of subjects. It documents the achievements of Brazil and Brazilians in the 19th century and also includes many photographs of Europe, Africa, and North America. The port city of Recife, which appears in this photograph, was one of the earliest settlements in Brazil. Established in the late 1500s by the Portuguese, it was under Dutch control for part of the 17th century. Early Recife boasted a sizable Jewish population and was also an entry point for many African slaves. The influence of this mix of cultures on Recife's character continued into the 19th century, when this picture was taken by Mortiz Lamberg, who worked in the studio of Alberto Henschel. The German-born Henschel was one of Brazil's most prolific portrait photographers. Lamberg later became a respected photographer in his own right, publishing the photography book Brasilien.
- Lamberg, Moritz Photographer.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1880 to 1885]
- - Brazil--Pernambuco--Recife
- - 1880 to 1885
- - Buildings
- - Memory of the World
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 photo : collodium, black and white ; 15.4 x 20.9 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Brazil.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Thereza Christina Maria Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Lamberg, Moritz Photographer. Old Recife. Brazil Pernambuco Recife, 1880. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1885] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669510/.
APA citation style:
Lamberg, M. P. (1880) Old Recife. Brazil Pernambuco Recife, 1880. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1885] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669510/.
MLA citation style:
Lamberg, Moritz Photographer. Old Recife. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1885] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669510/>.