Photo, Print, Drawing Works of the Provisional Canalization of the São Pedro River: São Antonio and São Pedro Waterfalls. Obras provisórias para canalisação do rio São Pedro : cachoeiras de S. Antonio e S. Pedro
About this Item
- Works of the Provisional Canalization of the São Pedro River: São Antonio and São Pedro Waterfalls.
- Obras provisórias para canalisação do rio São Pedro : cachoeiras de S. Antonio e S. Pedro
- This image is from Obras da canalização provisoria do rio São Pedro (Works of the provisional canalization of the São Pedro River), an album of 26 photographs documenting one of a series of projects carried out in Brazil in the late 19th century to improve the water supply of the city of Rio de Janeiro. The project was led by the engineer Francisco de Paula Bicalho (1847--1919), director of the Inspetoria de Aguas da Corte. The photographs are by Marc Ferrez (1843--1923), a Brazilian artist of French heritage who documented the development of Brazil as a nation. Each photograph is identified by the aqueduct, camp, or waterfall depicted. Ferrez photographed construction work on the water projects from 1879 to 1889. He began extensively documenting the canalization of the São Pedro River and construction of the Pedregulho reservoir in the São Cristóvão neighborhood in 1879. Inaugurated by Emperor Pedro II the following year, the reservoir served as one of the main suppliers of water to Rio de Janeiro for almost the next half century. Ferrez's photographs record an intense period of modernization and infrastructural change in Rio de Janeiro. His work on the different projects to improve the city's water supply is found in eight albums, three of which were bequeathed to Bicalho and three to Emperor Pedro II. This photograph is from one of the albums given to the emperor. It is part of the Thereza Christina Maria Collection at the National Library of Brazil. The collection is composed of 21,742 photos assembled by Emperor Pedro II throughout his life and donated by him to the national library. The collection covers a wide variety of subjects. It documents the achievements of Brazil and Brazilians in the 19th century and also includes many photographs of Europe, Africa, and North America.
- Ferrez, Marc, 1843-1923 Photographer.
Created / Published
- Rio de Janeiro : [publisher not identified], 1889.
- - Brazil--Rio de Janeiro
- - 1889
- - Canal construction
- - Canals
- - Memory of the World
- - Rivers
- - São Pedro River (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
- - Waterfalls
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 photograph : black and white ; 24.9 x 18.7 centimeters.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: Maria Inez Turazzi, Marc Ferrez (São Paulo, Brazil: Cosac & Naify Edições, circa 2000).|Maria Inez Turazzi, "Paisagem construída: Fotografia e memória dos "melhoramentos urbanos" na cidade do Rio de Janeiro," Varia Historia 22, number 35 (January--June 2006).
- - Original resource at: National Library of Brazil.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Works of the Provisional Canalization of the São Pedro River
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ferrez, Marc, Photographer. Works of the Provisional Canalization of the São Pedro River: São Antonio and São Pedro Waterfalls. Brazil Rio De Janeiro, 1889. [Rio de Janeiro: publisher not identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669537/.
APA citation style:
Ferrez, M. (1889) Works of the Provisional Canalization of the São Pedro River: São Antonio and São Pedro Waterfalls. Brazil Rio De Janeiro, 1889. [Rio de Janeiro: publisher not identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669537/.
MLA citation style:
Ferrez, Marc, Photographer. Works of the Provisional Canalization of the São Pedro River: São Antonio and São Pedro Waterfalls. [Rio de Janeiro: publisher not identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669537/>.