Photo, Print, Drawing Organ Hills: View of Finger of God Peak. Serra dos Orgoes: [vista do Pico Dedo de Deus]
About this Item
- Organ Hills: View of Finger of God Peak.
- Serra dos Orgoes: [vista do Pico Dedo de Deus]
- The Thereza Christina Maria collection is composed of 21,742 photos assembled by Emperor Pedro II (1825-91) throughout his life and donated by him to the National Library of Brazil. The collection covers a wide variety of subjects. It documents the achievements of Brazil and Brazilians in the 19th century and also includes many photographs of Europe, Africa, and North America. This view of the countryside around Rio de Janeiro was taken by George Leuzinger (1813-92), one of Brazil's foremost landscape photographers. The photograph features the Serra dos Orgaos, or Organ Hills, a national park in the state of Rio de Janeiro. The mountains were given their name by early Portuguese settlers who thought they resembled the organs in European cathedrals. In the center is the peak known as the Dedo de Deus, the Finger of God. It is considered the most famous mountain in Brazil and is 1,692 meters high.
- Leuzinger, George, 1813-1892 Photographer.
Created / Published
- Teresópolis, Brazil : [publisher not identified], [1865 to 1874]
- - Brazil--Rio de Janeiro--Rio de Janeiro
- - 1865 to 1874
- - Memory of the World
- - Mountains
- - National parks and reserves
- - Pico Dedo de Deus (Brazil)
- - Serra dos Orgãos (Brazil)
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 photo : albumen paper, black and white ; 19.3 x 24.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Brazil.
- - Content in Portuguese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Thereza Christina Maria Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Leuzinger, George, Photographer. Organ Hills: View of Finger of God Peak. Brazil Rio De Janeiro, 1865. [Teresópolis, Brazil: publisher not identified, to 1874] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669553/.
APA citation style:
Leuzinger, G. (1865) Organ Hills: View of Finger of God Peak. Brazil Rio De Janeiro, 1865. [Teresópolis, Brazil: publisher not identified, to 1874] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669553/.
MLA citation style:
Leuzinger, George, Photographer. Organ Hills: View of Finger of God Peak. [Teresópolis, Brazil: publisher not identified, to 1874] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669553/>.