Photo, Print, Drawing The Chinese View of Tijuca: Tijuca Forest. A Vista Chinesa na Tijuca: Floresta da Tijuca
About this Item
- The Chinese View of Tijuca: Tijuca Forest.
- A Vista Chinesa na Tijuca: Floresta da Tijuca
- The Thereza Christina Maria collection is composed of 21,742 photos assembled by Emperor Pedro II (1825-91) throughout his life and donated by him to the National Library of Brazil. The collection covers a wide variety of subjects. It documents the achievements of Brazil and Brazilians in the 19th century and also includes many photographs of Europe, Africa, and North America. This photograph of the Tijuca Forest by landscape photographer George Leuzinger (1813-92) shows the mountains around the southern part of Rio de Janeiro, the Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas, and the Botafogo neighborhood. The photograph was taken from the Chinese View, inside the forest itself. The hand-planted Tijuca Forest, located in the center of Rio, is the world's largest urban forest.
- Leuzinger, George, 1813-1892 Photographer.
Created / Published
- Rio de Janeiro : [publisher not identified], [1865 to 1874]
- - Brazil--Rio de Janeiro--Rio de Janeiro
- - 1865 to 1874
- - Forests
- - Memory of the World
- - Mountains
- - Scenic overlooks
- - Tijuca Forest
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 photo : albumen paper, black and white ; 19.6 x 25.8 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Brazil.
- - Content in Portuguese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Thereza Christina Maria Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Leuzinger, George, Photographer. The Chinese View of Tijuca: Tijuca Forest. Brazil Rio De Janeiro, 1865. [Rio de Janeiro: publisher not identified, to 1874] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669556/.
APA citation style:
Leuzinger, G. (1865) The Chinese View of Tijuca: Tijuca Forest. Brazil Rio De Janeiro, 1865. [Rio de Janeiro: publisher not identified, to 1874] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669556/.
MLA citation style:
Leuzinger, George, Photographer. The Chinese View of Tijuca: Tijuca Forest. [Rio de Janeiro: publisher not identified, to 1874] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669556/>.