Photo, Print, Drawing Gavia, in Tijuca. Gavia, da Tijuca
About this Item
- Gavia, in Tijuca.
- Gavia, da Tijuca
- The Thereza Christina Maria collection is composed of 21,742 photos assembled by Emperor Pedro II (1825-91) throughout his life and donated by him to the National Library of Brazil. The collection covers a wide variety of subjects. It documents the achievements of Brazil and Brazilians in the 19th century and also includes many photographs of Europe, Africa, and North America. This photograph of the Pedra da Gávea was taken by Brazilian landscape photographer George Leuzinger (1813-92). Because of its location and composition, the rock has eroded over time, so that today it has a distinctly different appearance than it did when this photograph was taken. The Pedra da Gávea is located in the Tijuca Forest, a hand-planted rainforest in the center of Rio de Janeiro that is the world's largest urban forest.
- Leuzinger, George, 1813-1892 Photographer.
Created / Published
- Rio de Janeiro : [publisher not identified], [1865 to 1866]
- - Brazil--Rio de Janeiro--Rio de Janeiro
- - 1865 to 1866
- - Forests
- - Gávea (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
- - Memory of the World
- - Tijuca Forest
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 photo : albumen paper, black and white ; 19.8 x 25.8 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Brazil.
- - Content in Portuguese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Thereza Christina Maria Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Leuzinger, George, Photographer. Gavia, in Tijuca. Brazil Rio De Janeiro, 1865. [Rio de Janeiro: publisher not identified, to 1866] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669557/.
APA citation style:
Leuzinger, G. (1865) Gavia, in Tijuca. Brazil Rio De Janeiro, 1865. [Rio de Janeiro: publisher not identified, to 1866] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669557/.
MLA citation style:
Leuzinger, George, Photographer. Gavia, in Tijuca. [Rio de Janeiro: publisher not identified, to 1866] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669557/>.