Photo, Print, Drawing The Zhemini Gorge in the Vicinity of the Zaysan Post, Kazakhstan, 1875.
About this Item
- The Zhemini Gorge in the Vicinity of the Zaysan Post, Kazakhstan, 1875.
- In 1874-75, the Russian government sent a research and trading mission to China to seek out new overland routes to the Chinese market, report on prospects for increased commerce and locations for consulates and factories, and gather information about the Dungan Revolt then raging in parts of western China. Led by Lieutenant Colonel Iulian A. Sosnovskii of the army General Staff, the nine-man mission included a topographer, Captain Matusovskii; a scientific officer, Dr. Pavel Iakovlevich Piasetskii; Chinese and Russian interpreters; three non-commissioned Cossack soldiers; and the mission photographer, Adolf Erazmovich Boiarskii. The mission proceeded from Saint Petersburg to Shanghai via Ulan Bator (Mongolia), Beijing, and Tianjin, and then followed a route along the Yangtze River, along the Great Silk Road through the Hami oasis, to Lake Zaysan, back to Russia. Boiarskii took some 200 photographs, which constitute a unique resource for the study of China in this period. Most of the photographs are included in this album, which later became part of the Thereza Christina Maria Collection assembled by Emperor Pedro II of Brazil and given by him to the National Library of Brazil.
- Boiarskii, Adolf-Nikolay Erazmovich Photographer.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1875.
- - Kazakhstan
- - 1875
- - Gorges
- - Memory of the World
- - Rivers
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 photo : albumen paper, black and white ; 19.7 x 26.7 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Brazil.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Russian Scientific-Commercial Expedition to China, 1874-75
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Boiarskii, Adolf-Nikolay Erazmovich Photographer. The Zhemini Gorge in the Vicinity of the Zaysan Post, Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan, 1875. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669640/.
APA citation style:
Boiarskii, A. E. P. (1875) The Zhemini Gorge in the Vicinity of the Zaysan Post, Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan, 1875. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669640/.
MLA citation style:
Boiarskii, Adolf-Nikolay Erazmovich Photographer. The Zhemini Gorge in the Vicinity of the Zaysan Post, Kazakhstan. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669640/>.