Photo, Print, Drawing To the Woods!.
About this Item
- To the Woods!.
- This political cartoon by Clifford Kennedy Berryman (1869-1949) features President Theodore Roosevelt and the Teddy Bear character. Berryman, a cartoonist for the Washington Post, was responsible for the association between Roosevelt and the popular toy bear. In November 1902, Roosevelt took part in a bear hunt in Mississippi. In the course of the hunt, Roosevelt came upon a bear that had been wounded by the hunt's dogs and at first refused to shoot it, but later ordered that the animal be killed to end its suffering. The Washington Post ran a Berryman cartoon that illustrated the event. Berryman's picture of a cuddly cub soon became associated with toy bears for children. When Morris Michtom, a Jewish immigrant who owned a small store in Brooklyn, New York, began making toy bears to sell in his shop, he sent one to Roosevelt and asked for permission to use his name. Roosevelt agreed and Michtom began mass-producing the bears for sale in the United States and around the world.
- Berryman, Clifford Kennedy, 1869-1949 Artist.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1906-11-01.
- - United States of America
- - 1906
- - Caricatures and cartoons
- - Politics and government
- - Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919
- - Teddy bears
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 print (black and white).
- - Original resource at: U.S. National Archives and Records Administration.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Berryman, Clifford Kennedy, Artist. To the Woods!. United States of America, 1906. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -11-01] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669741/.
APA citation style:
Berryman, C. K. (1906) To the Woods!. United States of America, 1906. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -11-01] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669741/.
MLA citation style:
Berryman, Clifford Kennedy, Artist. To the Woods!. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -11-01] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669741/>.