Photo, Print, Drawing Dancer with a Group of Wandering Puppeters in Batavia. Danseres van een groep rondtrekkende wajang topengspelers te Batavia
About this Item
- Dancer with a Group of Wandering Puppeters in Batavia.
- Danseres van een groep rondtrekkende wajang topengspelers te Batavia
- This dancer was part of a troupe of wandering entertainers who traveled through Java in the late 19th century, performing dances and puppet shows. Indonesian shadow puppetry, known as wayang kulit, is one of the world's oldest storytelling traditions. Traditional Javanese dance began as a court ritual, but over time the dances incorporated many of the stories and traditions performed in the puppet theater. The photograph was taken by the studio of Woodbury & Page, which was established in 1857 by the British photographers Walter Bentley Woodbury and James Page. The photograph is from the collections of the KITLV/Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies in Leiden.
- Page, James Photographer.
- Woodbury, Walter B. (Walter Bentley), 1834-1885 Photographer.
Created / Published
- Batavia : Woodbury & Page, 1872.
- - Indonesia--Jakarta
- - 1872
- - Clothing and dress
- - Dancers
- - Entertainers
- - Puppet theater
- - Theatrical productions
- - Wayang topeng
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 24 x 19 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and the Caribbean Studies KITLV.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Page, James Photographer, and Walter B Woodbury. Dancer with a Group of Wandering Puppeters in Batavia. Jakarta Indonesia, 1872. Batavia: Woodbury & Page. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669852/.
APA citation style:
Page, J. P. & Woodbury, W. B. (1872) Dancer with a Group of Wandering Puppeters in Batavia. Jakarta Indonesia, 1872. Batavia: Woodbury & Page. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669852/.
MLA citation style:
Page, James Photographer, and Walter B Woodbury. Dancer with a Group of Wandering Puppeters in Batavia. Batavia: Woodbury & Page. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669852/>.