Photo, Print, Drawing Retreat of Napoleon from Leipzig, 1813.
About this Item
- Retreat of Napoleon from Leipzig, 1813.
- This original watercolor drawing by John Augustus Atkinson (1775-1833?) shows Napoleon seated in a tent shelter, surrounded by soldiers and members of his staff. Atkinson was an English painter and printmaker who specialized in military themes. He produced sets of engravings showing British military uniforms, and was also known for his watercolors of historical events. In 1815, Atkinson was commissioned to collaborate with the British artist Arthur William Devis (1762-1822) on a painting of the Battle of Waterloo. In 1819, John Burnet, the first engraver to specialize in the reproduction of paintings for the middle class, engraved the painting. The drawing is from the Anne S.K. Brown Military Collection at the Brown University Library, the foremost American collection devoted to the history and iconography of soldiers and soldiering, and one of the world's largest collections devoted to the study of military and naval uniforms.
- Atkinson, John Augustus, 1775-1833? Artist.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1813.
- - Germany
- - 1813
- - Armies
- - Leipzig, Battle of, Leipzig, Germany
- - Napoleon I, Emperor of the French, 1769-1821
- - Napoleonic Wars, 1800-1815
- - Soldiers
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 watercolor; 29.6 x 20.4 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Brown University Library.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Anne S.K. Brown Military Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Atkinson, John Augustus, ? Artist. Retreat of Napoleon from Leipzig. Germany, 1813. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669858/.
APA citation style:
Atkinson, J. A. (1813) Retreat of Napoleon from Leipzig. Germany, 1813. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669858/.
MLA citation style:
Atkinson, John Augustus, ? Artist. Retreat of Napoleon from Leipzig. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669858/>.