Photo, Print, Drawing England Plate 2nd.
About this Item
- England Plate 2nd.
- This unsigned wash drawing is presumed to be the original by William Hogarth (1697-1764) for the etched plate, The Invasion, Plate 2, England. Hogarth was a major English pictorial satirist and social critic. He was also one of the first artists to draw subjects in a series. One of his best-known works is the series The Rake's Progress, which shows the downfall of a young man of means who squanders his inheritance. The Invasion series, consisting of two plates, depicts the French plotting an invasion of England while the English appear unconcerned. The series was done in 1756, the year the Seven Years' War began. The drawing is from the Anne S.K. Brown Military Collection at the Brown University Library, the foremost American collection devoted to the history and iconography of soldiers and soldiering, and one of the world's largest collections devoted to the study of military and naval uniforms.
- Hogarth, William, 1697-1764 Artist.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1756.
- - France
- - United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- - 1700 to 1799
- - Caricatures and cartoons
- - Soldiers
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 drawing; 31.2 x 39.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Brown University Library.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Anne S.K. Brown Military Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Hogarth, William, Artist. England Plate 2nd. United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland France, 1756. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669867/.
APA citation style:
Hogarth, W. (1756) England Plate 2nd. United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland France, 1756. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669867/.
MLA citation style:
Hogarth, William, Artist. England Plate 2nd. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669867/>.