Photo, Print, Drawing Going to Work.
About this Item
- Going to Work.
- This watercolor on heavy board, showing military personnel of the Women's Army Corps in New Guinea in 1944, during World War II, is signed and dated by the artist, John Cullen Murphy (1919-2004). Murphy was an American cartoonist best known for drawing the Prince Valiant comic strip. Murphy joined the armed forces in 1940 and spent the war years in the Pacific, where he was an anti-aircraft officer, and drew illustrations for the Chicago Tribune. The battle for New Guinea was one of the major military campaigns in the Pacific theater, beginning in January 1942 and continuing on some parts of the island until the war ended. The watercolor is part of the Anne S.K. Brown Military Collection at the Brown University Library, the foremost American collection devoted to the history and iconography of soldiers and soldiering, and one of the world's largest collections devoted to the study of military and naval uniforms.
- Murphy, John Cullen, 1919-2004 Artist.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1944.
- - Papua New Guinea
- - 1944
- - Soldiers
- - Trucks
- - United States. Army
- - Women soldiers
- - World War, 1939-1945
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 watercolor ; 26.5 x 17.7 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Brown University Library.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Anne S.K. Brown Military Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Murphy, John Cullen, Artist. Going to Work. Papua New Guinea, 1944. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669871/.
APA citation style:
Murphy, J. C. (1944) Going to Work. Papua New Guinea, 1944. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669871/.
MLA citation style:
Murphy, John Cullen, Artist. Going to Work. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669871/>.