Photo, Print, Drawing Sweden Ancient and Modern. Suecia antiqua et hodierna
About this Item
- Sweden Ancient and Modern.
- Suecia antiqua et hodierna
- Erik Dahlberg's Suecia antiqua et hodierna (Sweden ancient and modern) is the most renowned architectural and topographical documentation of Sweden during the age of imperial greatness. Dahlberg was an accomplished civil servant and draftsman. Aided by assistants under his aegis, he drafted a large number of sketches and drawings depicting settlements, manors, and fortifications, with the expressed purpose of enhancing the glory of Sweden in its efforts to be recognized as a European power. The drawings were later engraved by a number of leading contemporary European engravers. The first edition of this monumental work, with some 400 copperplate engravings and etchings, appeared only after Dahlberg's death.
- Dahlberg, Erik, 1625-1703 Creator.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1698 to 1715]
- - Sweden
- - 1660 to 1715
- - Buildings
- - Cities and towns
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 3 volumes with approximately 400 copperplate engravings and etchings on 353 plates; black and white.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Sweden.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Dahlberg, Erik, Creator. Sweden Ancient and Modern. Sweden, 1698. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1715] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669889/.
APA citation style:
Dahlberg, E. (1698) Sweden Ancient and Modern. Sweden, 1698. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1715] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669889/.
MLA citation style:
Dahlberg, Erik, Creator. Sweden Ancient and Modern. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1715] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669889/>.