Photo, Print, Drawing A Verger's Dream: Saints Cosmas and Damian Performing a Miraculous Cure by Transplantation of a Leg.
About this Item
- A Verger's Dream: Saints Cosmas and Damian Performing a Miraculous Cure by Transplantation of a Leg.
- Saints Cosmas and Damian were early Christian martyrs who, according to legend, practiced medicine without payment and therefore were represented to the public as medical ideals. In this Spanish altarpiece, the saints appear in a vision, dressed in the full finery of academic doctors as they perform the miracle of transplanting a leg. The vision is described in a book of 1275 by Jacobus de Voragine, Legenda aurea (The golden legend). The vision was received in the Church of Saints Cosmas and Damian, in Rome, by a verger who had a disease that was eating away the flesh of his leg. One night he dreamed that the two saints came and cut off his bad limb, and in its place transplanted the leg of a dead African who had just been buried in a nearby churchyard. When he awoke, the verger found that he had a healthy black leg, while it was discovered that the African's body now lacked a limb. The conclusion: "Then let us pray unto these holy martyrs to be our succor and help in all our hurts, wounds and sores, and that by their merits after this life we may come to everlasting bliss in heaven. Amen." The painting was probably once in the Church of Saints Cosmas and Damian in Burgos, in northern Spain. The painter is called the Master of Los Balbases after a nearby town in which there is an altarpiece by him in the Church of Saint Stephen.
- Master of Los Balbases, flourished around 1495 Artist.
- Sedano, Alonso de Contributor.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1495.
- - Spain
- - 1495
- - Altarpieces
- - Cosmas, Saint
- - Damian, Saint (died around 303)
- - Dreams
- - Miracles
- - Oil paintings
- - Saints
- - Transplantation of organs, tissues
- - Visions
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 painting : oil on wood ; wood around 169 x 133 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Wellcome Library.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Master Of Los Balbases, Flourished Around 1495 Artist, and Alonso De Contributor Sedano. A Verger's Dream: Saints Cosmas and Damian Performing a Miraculous Cure by Transplantation of a Leg. Spain, 1495. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669915/.
APA citation style:
Master Of Los Balbases, F. A. 1. A. & Sedano, A. D. C. (1495) A Verger's Dream: Saints Cosmas and Damian Performing a Miraculous Cure by Transplantation of a Leg. Spain, 1495. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669915/.
MLA citation style:
Master Of Los Balbases, Flourished Around 1495 Artist, and Alonso De Contributor Sedano. A Verger's Dream: Saints Cosmas and Damian Performing a Miraculous Cure by Transplantation of a Leg. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669915/>.