Photo, Print, Drawing Thousands of Live Alligators on Free Exhibition.
About this Item
- Thousands of Live Alligators on Free Exhibition.
- This broadside, dating from about 1950, is an advertisement for Osky's, also known as Osky's Curio Shop or Osky's Alligator Store, a Jacksonville mercantile store that sold gift items, rare or bizarre decorative items, and goods made out of alligator skin, including lamps, purses, and wallets. The shop also exhibited live alligators and other reptiles. Jacksonville was home to many of Florida's earliest tourist attractions, including the Florida Alligator Farm. Operating for several decades on Jacksonville's historic Bay Street, Osky's promoted itself through postcards featuring images of its alligators and alligator goods and advertisements such as this one.
- Osky's Creator.
Created / Published
- Jacksonville, Florida : Osky's Curio Shop, 1950.
- - United States of America--Florida--Jacksonville
- - 1945 to 1955
- - Alligators
- - Broadsides
- - Commerce
- - Promotion
- - Tourism
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Red printing on buff stock paper. Small red border. "See our live monster alligator. Weighing 900 lbs. Length, 14 feet 3 inches. Pay us a visit. Osky's, 121 West Bay Street.""--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 sheet ; 8.5 x 14 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: State Library and Archives of Florida.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Florida Broadsides and Other Ephemera, 1800-2000
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Osky'S Creator. Thousands of Live Alligators on Free Exhibition. United States of America Florida Jacksonville, 1950. Jacksonville, Florida: Osky's Curio Shop. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669918/.
APA citation style:
Osky'S Creator. (1950) Thousands of Live Alligators on Free Exhibition. United States of America Florida Jacksonville, 1950. Jacksonville, Florida: Osky's Curio Shop. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669918/.
MLA citation style:
Osky'S Creator. Thousands of Live Alligators on Free Exhibition. Jacksonville, Florida: Osky's Curio Shop. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669918/>.