Photo, Print, Drawing Seminole Josie Billie with Family and Dog.
About this Item
- Seminole Josie Billie with Family and Dog.
- This photograph, taken in the Big Cypress Swamp in Florida near Deep Lake in April 1921, depicts Josie Billie and his family. Born on December 12, 1887, Billie was the son of the first Indian to receive a formal education in Florida. A Seminole medicine man and long-time public spokesman for the Florida Seminoles, Billie was also a Baptist minister. He was a frequent participant in the Florida Folk Festival and lived on the Big Cypress Seminole Indian Reservation in Hendry County until his death in 1980. The image is from the collection of John Kunkel Small, a prominent American botanist associated with the New York Botanical Garden who specialized in the plant life of the American Southeast and documented environmental degradation in the Everglades.
- Small, George Donor.
- Small, John Kunkel, 1869-1938 Photographer.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1921-04.
- - United States of America--Florida--Big Cypress Swamp
- - 1921
- - Billie, Josie, 1887-1980
- - Dogs
- - Families
- - Folklife
- - Group portraits
- - Indians of North America
- - Indigenous peoples
- - Seminole Indians
- - Shamans
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 nitrate photonegative : black and white ; 7 x 5 inches.
- - Original resource at: State Library and Archives of Florida.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Small, George Donor, and John Kunkel Small. Seminole Josie Billie with Family and Dog. Florida United States of America Big Cypress Swamp, 1921. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -04] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669939/.
APA citation style:
Small, G. D. & Small, J. K. (1921) Seminole Josie Billie with Family and Dog. Florida United States of America Big Cypress Swamp, 1921. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -04] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669939/.
MLA citation style:
Small, George Donor, and John Kunkel Small. Seminole Josie Billie with Family and Dog. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -04] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669939/>.