Photo, Print, Drawing Man Fishing at Blue Springs.
About this Item
- Man Fishing at Blue Springs.
- This undated photograph of Blue Springs in Marion County, Florida captures the tranquility offered by Florida's springs before the rapid development of urban centers in central Florida altered the landscape. Marion County was the location of a U.S. government military agency established in 1825 to oversee displaced Seminoles. White settlers began moving into the area in the early to mid-19th century to take advantage of the abundant farm land and numerous freshwater springs and spring-fed rivers. Trading posts and communities formed around the springs, including what would later become cities such as Belleview, Dunnellon, and the eventual county seat, Ocala, named for a settlement of the Timucuans. This image of a man fishing with a cane pole near a crude lodge captures an idyllic scene of early Florida life centered on its springs.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1900.
- - United States of America--Florida--Marion County
- - 1900
- - Fishing
- - Fishing lodges
- - Fishing rods
- - Springs
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 photoprint : black and white ; 5 x 7 inches.
- - Original resource at: State Library and Archives of Florida.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Man Fishing at Blue Springs. United States of America Florida Marion County, 1900. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669949/.
APA citation style:
(1900) Man Fishing at Blue Springs. United States of America Florida Marion County, 1900. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669949/.
MLA citation style:
Man Fishing at Blue Springs. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669949/>.