Photo, Print, Drawing A Falconer with His Falcon near Al-Ain.
About this Item
- A Falconer with His Falcon near Al-Ain.
- This 1965 photograph shows a huntsman with his falcon near Al-Ain, a desert oasis located approximately 160 kilometers east of the city of Abu Dhabi in the emirate of Abu Dhabi. Falconry is both a sport and a means of hunting for food that developed over centuries in the Arab world and in other countries. Known as the "sport of shaykhs," falconry was inscribed on the UNESCO Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity in 2010. The photograph is from the Colonel Edward "Tug" Bearby Wilson Collection in the National Library, Abu Dhabi Authority for Culture and Heritage, and was taken by Wilson. Colonel Tug Wilson (1921--2009) was a British army officer who, in the 1960s, was seconded to the government of Abu Dhabi to help build the national defense force. He was a personal friend of the ruler of Abu Dhabi, Shaykh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan (1918--2004), with whom he shared interests in falconry and horseback riding.
- Wilson, Edward B., Colonel, 1921-2009 Photographer.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1965.
- - United Arab Emirates--Abu Dhabi Emirate
- - 1965
- - Falconry
- - Falcons
- - Hunters
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource at: Abu Dhabi Authority for Culture and Heritage.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Colonel Edward "Tug" Bearby Wilson Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Wilson, Edward B., Colonel, Photographer. A Falconer with His Falcon near Al-Ain. United Arab Emirates Abu Dhabi Emirate, 1965. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669974/.
APA citation style:
Wilson, E. B. (1965) A Falconer with His Falcon near Al-Ain. United Arab Emirates Abu Dhabi Emirate, 1965. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669974/.
MLA citation style:
Wilson, Edward B., Colonel, Photographer. A Falconer with His Falcon near Al-Ain. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669974/>.