Photo, Print, Drawing The Ķegums Hydro Power Plant and the Temporary Bridge over the Daugava, November 1936.
About this Item
- The Ķegums Hydro Power Plant and the Temporary Bridge over the Daugava, November 1936.
- Eduards Kraucs (1898--1977) was a renowned Latvian photographer and cinematographer who, between 1936 and 1940, documented the construction of the Ķegums Hydro Power Plant on the Daugava River in central Latvia. This photograph, taken in November 1936, shows the temporary wooden bridge over the river and workers building the concrete supports for a new bridge. The historic buildings along the right bank of the river, before the reservoir was created, can be seen in the background. The plant was a unique engineering structure for the Baltic countries and Northern Europe, involving a collaborative effort of Latvian and Swedish engineers. Technological solutions new to Europe were used in its construction. The plant had great importance in Latvia as a symbol of state and national identity during the first period of the history of the independent Latvian state (1918--1940). Its completion marked the beginning of a unified statewide power system and of the Latvenergo group. The plant triggered rapid economic growth, resulted in the electrification of Latvia's regions, and improved the welfare of the Latvian population. Kraucs took images of the work once or twice a week during the period of construction. The resulting collection of 1,736 glass plate photonegatives is the only known example in Europe of such a comprehensive photographic record of a large-scale building project. The collection was inscribed on the Latvian National Memory of the World Register in 2009.
- Kraucs, Eduards Rihards, 1898-1977 Photographer.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1936-11.
- - Latvia--Ķegums
- - 1936-11 to 1940
- - Bridges
- - Construction
- - Construction workers
- - Dams
- - Hydroelectric power
- - Ķegums Hydro Power Plant (Ķegums, Latvia)
- - Latvenergo (Latvia)
- - National Memory of the World Register, Latvia
- - Power plants
- - Rivers
- - Western Dvina River
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 glass plate photonegative : black and white ; 13 x 18 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Latvenergo AS Power Industry Museum.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- The Process of Building the Ķegums Hydro Power Plant (1936-1940)
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Kraucs, Eduards Rihards, Photographer. The Ķegums Hydro Power Plant and the Temporary Bridge over the Daugava, November. Ķegums Latvia, 1936. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -11] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669980/.
APA citation style:
Kraucs, E. R. (1936) The Ķegums Hydro Power Plant and the Temporary Bridge over the Daugava, November. Ķegums Latvia, 1936. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -11] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021669980/.
MLA citation style:
Kraucs, Eduards Rihards, Photographer. The Ķegums Hydro Power Plant and the Temporary Bridge over the Daugava, November. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -11] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021669980/>.