Photo, Print, Drawing View of the Plain of Fusagasugá, Province of Bogotá. Vista del llano de Fusagasugá
About this Item
- View of the Plain of Fusagasugá, Province of Bogotá.
- Vista del llano de Fusagasugá
- This watercolor by Manuel María Paz (1820--1902) shows the llano, or plain, of Fusagasugá in the province of Bogotá (present-day Cundinamarca Department), Colombia. The caption on the painting indicates that this was a place of relaxation for the inhabitants of Bogota. "It is located over 1,772 meters over the sea level, with an average temperature of 20.5 centigrade. At a distance from the capital of 11 1/2 Granadan leagues." The watercolor is typical of Paz's work, which captured the diversity of the population of Colombia and depicted the daily activities and traditional customs of the country's different ethnic, racial, and social groups. Paz was born in Almaguer in the province of Cauca. He joined the Colombian army at a young age and showed exceptional skills as a cartographer and painter. In 1853 he took over the role of draftsman of the Comisión Corográfica (Chorographic Commission) formerly held by Henry Price (1819--63). The commission, which began work in 1850, was tasked with studying the geography, cartography, natural resources, natural history, regional culture, and agriculture of the Republic of New Granada (present-day Colombia and Panama). Paz worked under Agustín Codazzi (1793--1859), the Italian-born geographer and engineer who co-founded and directed the commission. In 1859, at Codazzi's death, Paz was among the collaborators who took on the task of reviewing, completing, and publishing the work that the Comisión Corográfica had undertaken since 1850. As a draftsman, Paz executed watercolors and drawings that were very exact and strove to represent the places and people of Colombia in a naturalistic and objective style. These pictures constitute invaluable documentary records for the history and culture of Colombia. They also provided information pertinent to drawing up the maps that were one of the main objectives of the Comisión Corográfica. More than 90 paintings by Paz are preserved at the National Library of Colombia.
- Colombia. Comisión Corográfica Sponsor.
- Paz, Manuel María, 1820-1902 Artist.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1855.
- - Colombia--Cundinamarca--Fusagasugá
- - 1855
- - Cattle
- - Expeditions and surveys
- - Farming
- - Mountains
- - Ranches
- - Regional Memory of the World Register, Scientific Memory of Andean America
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: Watercolor on paper ; 32 x 24 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Colombia.
- - Content in Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Colección Comisión Corográfica
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Colombia. Comisión Corográfica Sponsor, and Manuel María Paz. View of the Plain of Fusagasugá, Province of Bogotá. Fusagasugá Cundinamarca Colombia, 1855. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670107/.
APA citation style:
Colombia. Comisión Corográfica Sponsor & Paz, M. M. (1855) View of the Plain of Fusagasugá, Province of Bogotá. Fusagasugá Cundinamarca Colombia, 1855. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670107/.
MLA citation style:
Colombia. Comisión Corográfica Sponsor, and Manuel María Paz. View of the Plain of Fusagasugá, Province of Bogotá. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670107/>.