Photo, Print, Drawing Interior of a Hut in Which They are Stringing the Leaves of the Tobacco Harvest, Province of Mariquita. Provincia de Mariquita. Interior de un canei en que están ensartando las hojas los cosecheros de tabaco
About this Item
- Interior of a Hut in Which They are Stringing the Leaves of the Tobacco Harvest, Province of Mariquita.
- Provincia de Mariquita. Interior de un canei en que están ensartando las hojas los cosecheros de tabaco
- This watercolor by Henry Price (1819--63) shows a family working with the produce of the tobacco harvest in a hut in the Andean highlands Province of Mariquita (present-day Tolima Department, Colombia), about 130 kilometers northwest of Bogotá. The tobacco leaves are in varying stages of drying and hang from strings running between sturdy wooden poles. Price was a British painter and musician who was one of the draftsmen of the Comisión Corográfica (Chorographic Commission), a body tasked with studying the geography, natural resources, natural history, regional culture, and agriculture of the Republic of New Granada (present-day Colombia and Panama). He was born in London but moved to New York with his family as an adolescent. In 1843 he married Eliza Castello Brandon, daughter of David Castello Montefiori (1790--1882). Price and Castello probably met in New York, where Castello, also originally from London, had transferred his commercial activities from Kingston, Jamaica. Henry and Eliza Price settled in Bogotá, where he initially worked as a bookkeeper for Castello. With the foundation of the Sociedad Filarmónica, an influential institution in Bogotá society, he was able to make important social connections that led to a teaching post at the Colegio del Espíritu Santo. It was there that he met some future members of the Comisión Corográfica, including Venezuelan painter Carmelo Fernández (1809--87), botanist José Jerónimo Triana (1828--90), and the lawyer and statesman Santiago Pérez Manosalbas (1830--1900). Price was hired for the third expedition, in 1852, to the provinces of Mariquita, Medellín, Córdova, Antioquia, and Cauca, under the direction of Agustín Codazzi (1793--1859). Many of Price's watercolors and drawings from 1852--55 depict Colombia's landscapes, the people and their customs, and artifacts. These works are now held at the National Library of Colombia (Colección Comisión Corográfica).
- Colombia. Comisión Corográfica Sponsor.
- Price, Henry, 1819-1863 Artist.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1852.
- - Colombia--Tolima
- - 1852
- - Chickens
- - Dogs
- - Expeditions and surveys
- - Goats
- - Manufacturing processes
- - Plantain banana
- - Regional Memory of the World Register, Scientific Memory of Andean America
- - Saddles
- - Tobacco
- - Tobacco industry
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 painting : watercolor ; 29 x 23 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Colombia.
- - Content in Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Colección Comisión Corográfica
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Colombia. Comisión Corográfica Sponsor, and Henry Price. Interior of a Hut in Which They are Stringing the Leaves of the Tobacco Harvest, Province of Mariquita. Tolima Colombia, 1852. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670141/.
APA citation style:
Colombia. Comisión Corográfica Sponsor & Price, H. (1852) Interior of a Hut in Which They are Stringing the Leaves of the Tobacco Harvest, Province of Mariquita. Tolima Colombia, 1852. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670141/.
MLA citation style:
Colombia. Comisión Corográfica Sponsor, and Henry Price. Interior of a Hut in Which They are Stringing the Leaves of the Tobacco Harvest, Province of Mariquita. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670141/>.