Photo, Print, Drawing The Amir. A Dogcart Drive.
About this Item
- The Amir. A Dogcart Drive.
- This pencil drawing by Melton Prior (1845--1910) was published in the Illustrated London News on January 21, 1905 under the title "The Amir's favour for English ways: A dog-cart drive, one of his Highness's favourite pastimes." According to the caption, the artist created the picture from material supplied by an official in the service of the amir, Habibullah Khan (born 1872), the ruler of Afghanistan from 1901 until his death in 1919. In this drawing, the amir is shown driving down a street with an escort of mounted lancers alongside. Prior was one of the leading "special artists" employed by the Illustrated London News in the late 19th--early 20th century. He supplied numerous illustrations of military conflicts in Africa, Asia, Spain, the Balkans, and Crete, as well as of events such as royal tours and marriages. The drawing is from the Anne S.K. Brown Military Collection at the Brown University Library.
- Prior, Melton, 1845-1910 Artist.
Created / Published
- London : Illustrated London News, 1905-01-21.
- - Afghanistan
- - 1905
- - Crowds
- - Ḥabibullah Khān, Amir of Afghanistan, died 1919
- - Horse-drawn vehicles
- - Horseback riding
- - Kings and rulers
- - Library of Congress Afghanistan Project
- - Soldiers
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 drawing; 21.5 x 28.9 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Brown University Library.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Anne S.K. Brown Military Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Prior, Melton, Artist. The Amir. A Dogcart Drive. Afghanistan, 1905. London: Illustrated London News, -01-21. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670152/.
APA citation style:
Prior, M. (1905) The Amir. A Dogcart Drive. Afghanistan, 1905. London: Illustrated London News, -01-21. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670152/.
MLA citation style:
Prior, Melton, Artist. The Amir. A Dogcart Drive. London: Illustrated London News, -01-21. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670152/>.