Photo, Print, Drawing Soldiers with Cannon Gathered outside Village, Circa 16th Century.
About this Item
- Soldiers with Cannon Gathered outside Village, Circa 16th Century.
- This 1564 engraving is a print from an original work by the great German artist Albrecht Dürer (1471--1528). It depicts mercenary troops known as Landsknechte, literally "servants of the country," gathered near a large cannon on a road outside a village in the valley. These figures have been identified as Ottoman Turks, who began to appear with increasing frequency in European engravings of the late 15th--early 16th century, following the capture of Constantinople by the Turks in 1453. The Dürer print includes heraldic symbols of Nuremberg on the cannon, which is meant to imply that this imperial city of the Emperor Maximilian I was prepared to defend itself against invaders from the east. The engraving is from the Anne S.K. Brown Military Collection at the Brown University Library.
- Dürer, Albrecht, 1471-1528 Artist.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1564.
- - Germany--Bavaria--Nuremberg
- - 1500 to 1528
- - Cannons
- - Cities and towns
- - Mercenary troops
- - Soldiers
- - Turks
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 engraving; 33 x 23 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Brown University Library.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Anne S.K. Brown Military Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Dürer, Albrecht, Artist. Soldiers with Cannon Gathered outside Village, Circa 16th Century. Nuremberg Bavaria Germany, 1564. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670156/.
APA citation style:
Dürer, A. (1564) Soldiers with Cannon Gathered outside Village, Circa 16th Century. Nuremberg Bavaria Germany, 1564. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670156/.
MLA citation style:
Dürer, Albrecht, Artist. Soldiers with Cannon Gathered outside Village, Circa 16th Century. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670156/>.