Photo, Print, Drawing Emperor Aurangzeb at the Siege of Golconda, 1687.
About this Item
- Emperor Aurangzeb at the Siege of Golconda, 1687.
- This gouache painting was created by an unknown Indian artist sometime in the mid-to-late 18th century, but it depicts an earlier event: the siege of the city of Golconde in south-central India by the last great Mughal emperor, Aurangzeb (reigned 1658--1707). Golconde was famous for its fort, palaces, factories, and ingenious water-supply system, as well as the legendary wealth from the city's diamond mine. Aurangzeb was Sunni, while the rulers of the Deccan were Shia who accepted the suzerainity of the shah of Persia and resisted Mughal expansionism. Under the direction of the emperor himself, the city was besieged for eight months. It fell in October 1687 as the result of a bribe. In the foreground of the painting, the aged emperor sits on a litter with attendants, supervising native cavalry and artillery as they attack the walled and fortified city in the background. A breach has been made in the sandstone walls which the Mughal troops are traversing. The painting is from the Anne S.K. Brown Military Collection at the Brown University Library.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1750 to 1790]
- - India--Andhra Pradesh--Golconda
- - 1687
- - Armies in art
- - Aurangzeb, Emperor of Hindustan, 1618-1707
- - Battles
- - Cannons
- - Forts and fortifications
- - Horseback riding
- - Kings and rulers
- - Mogul Empire
- - Soldiers
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 gouache; 23.4 x 32 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Brown University Library.
- - Content in Hindi.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Anne S.K. Brown Military Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Emperor Aurangzeb at the Siege of Golconda. Golconda India Andhra Pradesh, 1750. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1790] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670161/.
APA citation style:
(1750) Emperor Aurangzeb at the Siege of Golconda. Golconda India Andhra Pradesh, 1750. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1790] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670161/.
MLA citation style:
Emperor Aurangzeb at the Siege of Golconda. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1790] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670161/>.