Photo, Print, Drawing North-East View of Saint Peter's Church (Episcopal), Philadelphia. North-east view of St. Peter's Church (Episcopal) Philada
About this Item
- North-East View of Saint Peter's Church (Episcopal), Philadelphia.
- North-east view of St. Peter's Church (Episcopal) Philada
- This print is a northeast view of Saint Peter's Episcopal Church, located at Third and Pine Streets in Philadelphia. Well-dressed people, possibly members of the church, are seen walking on the sidewalks along the walls of the churchyard. The illustration is by William L. Breton, a watercolorist and early lithographer of Philadelphia scenes who was active in the city between about 1825 and 1855. Born in England circa 1773, Breton immigrated to Philadelphia about 1824. In the late 1820s, he contributed illustrations to Annals of Philadelphia, compiled by the antiquarian John F. Watson. In 1829 Breton entered the lithographic trade to execute the illustrations for the Annals. He worked extensively with the firm of Kennedy & Lucas, operated by David Kennedy and William B. Lucas, which produced the first commercial lithographs in Philadelphia. In 1829-30 Breton collaborated with Kennedy & Lucas to produce the first separately issued series of lithographic views of Philadelphia depicting local churches of different denominations.
- Breton, William L., circa 1773-1855 Artist.
Created / Published
- Philadelphia : Kennedy & Lucas's Lithography, 1829.
- - United States of America--Pennsylvania--Philadelphia
- - 1829
- - Churches
- - Cities and towns
- - Episcopal churches
- - Lithographs
- - Saint Peter's Episcopal Church (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
- - Street scenes
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Digital catalog number: POS 511"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 print : lithograph ; 21 x 29 centimeters.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: William L. Breton, Philadelphia on Stone Biographical Dictionary, Library Company of Philadelphia, http://www.lcpdigital.org.|Philadelphia External on Stone Biographical Dictionary of Lithographers, http://www.librarycompany.org/pos/posdictionary.htm. External
- - Original resource at: The Library Company of Philadelphia.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Philadelphia on Stone
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Breton, William L., Circa Artist. North-East View of Saint Peter's Church Episcopal, Philadelphia. Pennsylvania United States of America Philadelphia, 1829. Philadelphia: Kennedy & Lucas's Lithography. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670181/.
APA citation style:
Breton, W. L. (1829) North-East View of Saint Peter's Church Episcopal, Philadelphia. Pennsylvania United States of America Philadelphia, 1829. Philadelphia: Kennedy & Lucas's Lithography. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670181/.
MLA citation style:
Breton, William L., Circa Artist. North-East View of Saint Peter's Church Episcopal, Philadelphia. Philadelphia: Kennedy & Lucas's Lithography. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670181/>.