Photo, Print, Drawing Manayunk.
About this Item
- This landscape print shows a couple walking along the bank of the Schuylkill River near the industrial village of Manayunk. A large tree stands in the foreground and small factories and dwellings are visible in the background. Also shown are groves of trees, rocks, and ground cover. Located along the east bank of the river, northwest of Philadelphia, Manayunk played an important part in the early industrial development of the United States. It was the site of large textile mills, which were built to take advantage of Manayunk's plentiful water supply and good transport links. The village was incorporated into the city of Philadelphia in 1854. The illustration is by George Lehman (circa 1800--70), a Swiss-born landscape artist and lithographer, who in 1824 immigrated to the United States with his family, several of whom were also stonecutters.
- Childs, Cephas Grier, 1793-1871 Lithographer.
- Lehman, George, circa 1800-1870 Artist.
Created / Published
- Philadelphia : C. G. Childs, 1830.
- - United States of America--Pennsylvania--Philadelphia
- - 1830
- - Factories
- - Lithographs
- - Mills
- - Rivers
- - Schuylkill River (Pennsylvania)
- - Textile factories
- - Textile industry
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Digital catalog number: POS 454"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 print : lithograph mounted on paper ; 19 x 29 centimeters.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: George Lehman, Philadelphia on Stone Biographical Dictionary, Library Company of Philadelphia, http://www.lcpdigital.org.|Philadelphia External on Stone Biographical Dictionary of Lithographers, http://www.librarycompany.org/pos/posdictionary.htm. External
- - Original resource at: The Library Company of Philadelphia.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Philadelphia on Stone
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Childs, Cephas Grier, Lithographer, and George Lehman. Manayunk. Pennsylvania United States of America Philadelphia, 1830. Philadelphia: C. G. Childs. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670187/.
APA citation style:
Childs, C. G. & Lehman, G. (1830) Manayunk. Pennsylvania United States of America Philadelphia, 1830. Philadelphia: C. G. Childs. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670187/.
MLA citation style:
Childs, Cephas Grier, Lithographer, and George Lehman. Manayunk. Philadelphia: C. G. Childs. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670187/>.