Photo, Print, Drawing View of Robert Buist's City Nursery and Greenhouses. Number 140 South Twelfth Street, Philadelphia, 1846. View of Robert Buist's city nursery & greenhouses No. 140 South Twelfth Str. Phila. 1846
About this Item
- View of Robert Buist's City Nursery and Greenhouses. Number 140 South Twelfth Street, Philadelphia, 1846.
- View of Robert Buist's city nursery & greenhouses No. 140 South Twelfth Str. Phila. 1846
- This advertising print from 1846 depicts a bird's-eye view looking northwest at the enclosed nursery and greenhouses of Robert Buist, located on 12th Street, south of Lombard Street, in Philadelphia. Two long rows of hotbed frames extend west from 12th Street and run the length of Rodman Street behind a three-story building marked "140" (a preconsolidation address, i.e., from before the Act of Consolidation of 1854, a law passed by the Pennsylvania General Assembly that consolidated many smaller municipalities into the City of Philadelphia). Men and women stroll along the central walk that separates the two rows of hotbed frames inside the grounds, accessed from 12th Street by the entrance gate adorned with the name of the proprietor, "R. Buist." Outside the entrance gate, several men and women converse on the sidewalk. One of the men holds a driving whip, and is presumably the driver of the stalled horse-drawn carriage in front of the entrance. Around the corner, another driver stands in front of a team of horses pulling a covered cart. He grasps the reins and leads the horses along Rodman Street. Further up Rodman Street, a man attempts to rein in a rearing horse. Men, women, children, and dogs traverse and stand on the sidewalks. A few trees dot the empty landscape behind the nursery. Buist established his business in 1828; it was known as the Robert Buist Company well into the 20th century. This lithograph was created by Alfred M. Hoffy, who was born circa 1790 in England and immigrated to the United States in the mid-1830s; the printing firm was Wagner & McGuigan, which specialized in the production of advertising prints.
- Hoffy, Alfred M., born circa 1790 Artist.
Created / Published
- Philadelphia : Printed by Wagner & McGuigan, 1846.
- - United States of America--Pennsylvania--Philadelphia
- - 1846
- - Advertising
- - Cities and towns
- - Greenhouses
- - Horse-drawn vehicles
- - Horses
- - Lithographs
- - Merchants
- - Nurseries (Horticulture)
- - Plants
- - Seed industry and trade
- - Street scenes
- - Wagons
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Digital catalog number: POS 790"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 print : lithograph ; 32 x 46 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: The Library Company of Philadelphia.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Philadelphia on Stone
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Hoffy, Alfred M., Born Circa 1790 Artist. View of Robert Buist's City Nursery and Greenhouses. Number 140 South Twelfth Street, Philadelphia. Pennsylvania United States of America Philadelphia, 1846. Philadelphia: Printed by Wagner & McGuigan. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670240/.
APA citation style:
Hoffy, A. M. (1846) View of Robert Buist's City Nursery and Greenhouses. Number 140 South Twelfth Street, Philadelphia. Pennsylvania United States of America Philadelphia, 1846. Philadelphia: Printed by Wagner & McGuigan. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670240/.
MLA citation style:
Hoffy, Alfred M., Born Circa 1790 Artist. View of Robert Buist's City Nursery and Greenhouses. Number 140 South Twelfth Street, Philadelphia. Philadelphia: Printed by Wagner & McGuigan. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670240/>.