Photo, Print, Drawing View of the Philadelphia Volunteer Refreshment Saloons. View of the Philadelphia volunteer refreshment saloons
About this Item
- View of the Philadelphia Volunteer Refreshment Saloons.
- View of the Philadelphia volunteer refreshment saloons
- This Civil War souvenir print contains six views of the Union Volunteer Refreshment Saloon and of the Cooper Shop Volunteer Refreshment Saloon in Philadelphia. The street addresses of both saloons are shown. The relief organization establishments, situated at the transportation hub between the North and South, provided hospital care, washing, sleeping, and writing facilities to more than 1 million military personnel, sailors, refugees, and freedmen in the course of the war. The print features a large central view of the exterior of the Union saloon with troops arriving and entering the dining saloon, while others depart on the Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad. Other views depict soldiers using the washbasins at the Cooper Shop saloon; pro-Union flags and saloon banners; the Union saloon's washing department and its cooking department (in which an African American man is seen carrying a pail of food); and interiors of both saloons where male and female volunteers attend to long tables of food. Above the scenes is an eagle clutching American flags and a pro-Union banner. The work is by James Fuller Queen, a Philadelphia lithographer and pioneer chromolithographer. Queen served in the Civil War militia in 1862--63 and created several lithographs with Civil War subjects, including views of and contribution certificates for the city's relief institutions.
- Queen, James Fuller, 1820 or 21-1886 Artist.
- Sinclair, Thomas S., circa 1805-1881 Printer.
Created / Published
- Philadelphia : Job T. Williams, 1861.
- - United States of America--Pennsylvania--Philadelphia
- - 1861
- - Canteens (Establishments)
- - Chromolithographs
- - Cooper Shop Volunteer Refreshment Saloon
- - Dinners and dining
- - Railroad cars
- - Railroads
- - Soldiers
- - Union Volunteer Refreshment Saloon and Hospital (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- - United States. Army
- - Volunteers
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Digital catalog number: POS 806"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 print : chromolithograph, hand-colored ; 54 x 71 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: The Library Company of Philadelphia.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Philadelphia on Stone
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Canteens (Establishments)
- Civil War
- Cooper Shop Volunteer Refreshment Saloon
- Dinners and Dining
- Railroad Cars
- Union Volunteer Refreshment Saloon and Hospital (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
- United States
- United States of America
- United States. Army
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Queen, James Fuller, 1820 Or 21-1886 Artist, and Thomas S Sinclair. View of the Philadelphia Volunteer Refreshment Saloons. Pennsylvania United States of America Philadelphia, 1861. Philadelphia: Job T. Williams. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670369/.
APA citation style:
Queen, J. F. & Sinclair, T. S. (1861) View of the Philadelphia Volunteer Refreshment Saloons. Pennsylvania United States of America Philadelphia, 1861. Philadelphia: Job T. Williams. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670369/.
MLA citation style:
Queen, James Fuller, 1820 Or 21-1886 Artist, and Thomas S Sinclair. View of the Philadelphia Volunteer Refreshment Saloons. Philadelphia: Job T. Williams. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670369/>.