Photo, Print, Drawing Chinese General's Wife.
About this Item
- Chinese General's Wife.
- This work is one of a pair of original unsigned gouache watercolors, painted by an unknown hand and dating from the early 19th century, depicting a Chinese general and his wife. Shown here is the general's wife, seated outside a row of tents. Near her is a staff with an oval shield bearing an animated and fearsome face. The same shield appears in her husband's portrait, but with a different banner above it. The wife's lady-in-waiting is kneeling at her right. Both women wear finely detailed costumes of blue and turquoise. The watercolor is from the Anne S.K. Brown Military Collection at the Brown University Library.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1810.
- - China
- - 1800 to 1899
- - Flags
- - Portrait paintings
- - Portraits
- - Shields
- - Tents
- - Women
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 gouache; 33.2 x 27.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Brown University Library.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Anne S.K. Brown Military Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Chinese General's Wife. China, 1810. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670463/.
APA citation style:
(1810) Chinese General's Wife. China, 1810. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670463/.
MLA citation style:
Chinese General's Wife. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670463/>.