Photo, Print, Drawing Theodore, Negus Hegyst, of Abyssinia.
About this Item
- Theodore, Negus Hegyst, of Abyssinia.
- In 1868, The Illustrated London News commissioned the Scottish artist William Simpson (1823--99) to cover a military campaign launched by Britain against Abyssinia (present-day Ethiopia) to rescue several British officials and missionaries held by the Emperor Theodore (also called Tewodros II, ruled 1855--68). The commission was Simpson's first major work for the Illustrated London News and the beginning of a long relationship with the paper that ended only with his death. This watercolor is Simpson's depiction of Theodore. After the hostages were freed, the British forces launched a punitive attack on the emperor's fortress of Magdala. Rather than face the ignominy of being taken prisoner, Theodore committed suicide, reportedly using a pistol that had been a gift from Queen Victoria. The watercolor is from the Anne S.K. Brown Military Collection at the Brown University Library.
- Simpson, William, 1823-1899 Artist.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1869.
- - Ethiopia
- - 1869
- - Kings and rulers
- - Portrait paintings
- - Portraits
- - Theodore II, Negus of Ethiopia, died 1868
- - Watercolors
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 watercolor; 11.3 x 19 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Brown University Library.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Anne S.K. Brown Military Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Simpson, William, Artist. Theodore, Negus Hegyst, of Abyssinia. Ethiopia, 1869. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670467/.
APA citation style:
Simpson, W. (1869) Theodore, Negus Hegyst, of Abyssinia. Ethiopia, 1869. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670467/.
MLA citation style:
Simpson, William, Artist. Theodore, Negus Hegyst, of Abyssinia. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670467/>.