Photo, Print, Drawing Patna - "Rajah Jye Prekash Singh".
About this Item
- Patna - "Rajah Jye Prekash Singh".
- This watercolor is from a collection of 18 paintings of Indian subjects by William Tayler (1808--92) dating from around 1842--45. Tayler was a civil servant of the East India Company who lived in India from 1829 until 1867. He became commissioner of Patna in 1855 and in 1857 was involved in the suppression of the Sepoy Rebellion. His measures against the local people were regarded as excessively harsh by his superiors, and he was suspended and given an appointment of lower rank. An enthusiastic amateur artist, Tayler sketched and painted landscapes, scenes from everyday life, and the court, military, and daily dress of Indians from different walks of life. Sketches Illustrating the Manners and Customs of the Indians and Anglo Indians Drawn on Stone from the Original Drawings from Life, published in London in 1842, included six of his drawings. In 1881 and 1882, Tayler published a two-volume autobiography, Thirty-Eight Years in India, illustrated with 100 of his own drawings. In this watercolor he depicted Rajah Jai Prakash Singh (seen here as Jye Prekash, ruled 1805--38) out riding with two attendants, perhaps on a hunting expedition. The painting is part of the Anne S.K. Brown Military Collection at the Brown University Library.
- Tayler, William, 1808-1892 Artist.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1842 to 1845]
- - India--Bihār--Patna
- - 1842 to 1845
- - Anglo-Indians
- - Horseback riding
- - Hunting
- - Kings and rulers
- - Manners and customs
- - Watercolors
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 watercolor painting ; 53 x 39 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Brown University Library.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Indian Types and Scenes
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Tayler, William, Artist. Patna - "Rajah Jye Prekash Singh". India Patna Bihār, 1842. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1845] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670477/.
APA citation style:
Tayler, W. (1842) Patna - "Rajah Jye Prekash Singh". India Patna Bihār, 1842. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1845] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670477/.
MLA citation style:
Tayler, William, Artist. Patna - "Rajah Jye Prekash Singh". [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1845] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670477/>.