Photo, Print, Drawing Near to Mai Wahiz, Tigre, Abyssinia.
About this Item
- Near to Mai Wahiz, Tigre, Abyssinia.
- In 1868, The Illustrated London News commissioned the Scottish artist William Simpson (1823--99) to cover a military campaign launched by Britain against Abyssinia (present-day Ethiopia) to rescue several British officials and missionaries held by the Emperor Theodore (also called Tewodros II, ruled 1855--68). The commission was Simpson's first major work for the Illustrated London News and the beginning of a long relationship with the paper that ended only with his death. Although Simpson's primary task was to document the campaign, he was also interested in people he encountered and places he visited, especially ancient rock-cut churches and other antiquities. This sketch, dated April 7, 1868, depicts a scene near Mai Wahiz, Tigray. The drawing is from the Anne S.K. Brown Military Collection at the Brown University Library.
- Simpson, William, 1823-1899 Artist.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1868-04-07.
- - Ethiopia--Tigray
- - 1868-04-07
- - Forts and fortifications
- - Rocks
- - Towers
- - Watercolors
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: Water-color drawing ; 57 x 38 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Brown University Library.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Anne S.K. Brown Military Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Simpson, William, Artist. Near to Mai Wahiz, Tigre, Abyssinia. Ethiopia Tigray, 1868. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -04-07] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670487/.
APA citation style:
Simpson, W. (1868) Near to Mai Wahiz, Tigre, Abyssinia. Ethiopia Tigray, 1868. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -04-07] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670487/.
MLA citation style:
Simpson, William, Artist. Near to Mai Wahiz, Tigre, Abyssinia. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -04-07] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670487/>.