Photo, Print, Drawing Paranaguá to Curitiba Railway. Paraná Province: Alexandra Station, Kilometer 15. E. de F. de Paranaguá a Corityba : Província de Paraná : Estação de Alexandra, K 15
About this Item
- Paranaguá to Curitiba Railway. Paraná Province: Alexandra Station, Kilometer 15.
- E. de F. de Paranaguá a Corityba : Província de Paraná : Estação de Alexandra, K 15
- The Paranaguá to Curitiba line of the Paraná Railway in Brazil was constructed between 1880 and 1884. The work was divided into three parts: Paranaguá-Morretes, Morretes-Roça Nova, and Roça Nova-Curitiba. The construction team was headed by the engineer João Teixeira Soares. The construction marked a milestone in Brazilian engineering, as it involved crossing the coastal Serra do Mar. A British writer gave this description of the line in 1917: "The summit is reached at 3122 feet [952 meters] after a 40-km. rise.... The track of 1-metre gauge winds cleverly up a series of foothills and side spurs, finishing with a tight-rope performance along the upper Serra cliffs on viaducts which stick out over sheer drops of 1000 feet [305 meters]. The line has hardly 50 metres of track without a curve, and the views seaward are particularly fine." The line was extended as far as Ponta Grossa in 1890, and it remains in operation to the present. Marc Ferrez (1843--1923), a Brazilian artist of French heritage who documented the development of Brazil as a nation, photographed construction work on the Paranaguá to Curitiba line in the early 1880s. Shown here is one of 33 photographs by Ferrez contained in an album that is part of the Thereza Christina Maria Collection at the National Library of Brazil. The collection is composed of 21,742 photos assembled by Emperor Pedro II throughout his life and donated by him to the national library. The collection covers a wide variety of subjects. It documents the achievements of Brazil and Brazilians in the 19th century and also includes many photographs of Europe, Africa, and North America.
- Ferrez, Marc, 1843-1923 Photographer.
Created / Published
- Brazil : [publisher not identified], [1880 to 1884]
- - Brazil--Paraná--Alexandra
- - 1880 to 1884
- - Memory of the World
- - Paraná Railroad (Brazil)
- - Railroad stations
- - Railroad tracks
- - Railroads
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 photograph : collodion, black and white ; 18.6 x 24.8 centimeters.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: W.S. Barclay, "The Geography of South American Railways," Geographical Journal 49, no. 3 (March 1917).
- - Original resource at: National Library of Brazil.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Paranaguá to Curitiba Railway, Brazil
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ferrez, Marc, Photographer. Paranaguá to Curitiba Railway. Paraná Province: Alexandra Station, Kilometer 15. Brazil Alexandra Paraná, 1880. [Brazil: Publisher Not Identified, to 1884] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670520/.
APA citation style:
Ferrez, M. (1880) Paranaguá to Curitiba Railway. Paraná Province: Alexandra Station, Kilometer 15. Brazil Alexandra Paraná, 1880. [Brazil: Publisher Not Identified, to 1884] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670520/.
MLA citation style:
Ferrez, Marc, Photographer. Paranaguá to Curitiba Railway. Paraná Province: Alexandra Station, Kilometer 15. [Brazil: Publisher Not Identified, to 1884] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670520/>.